What is a complete Denture?
A complete denture is a prosthesis made to replace all missing teeth. A complete denture is a custom prosthesis that is fabricated for a patient without any teeth in the jaw.
What is an immediate denture or healing denture?
An immediate denture is full prosthesis that is delivered at time of removal of teeth. It is placed in the mouth immediately after removal of the remaining teeth. It is also called as healing denture as it helps in healing of gum tissue.
Advantages of immediate denture:-
- As we deliver an immediate denture at time of removal of teeth, the patient will not be without teeth at any time.
- It helps in getting used to new prosthesis.
- The patient can chew better as compared to an edentulous patient.
- it helps in maintaining normal lip and cheek support as there is no waiting period.
Disadvantages of immediate denture:-
- It gets loose as gums and bone are healing and shrink overtime. It takes almost 6 months for bone and gum to heal properly.
- Initial difficulty in speaking and eating as the patient is getting used to it.
- As teeth and denture material are placed in place of natural teeth and gums, it is very challenging to replicate natural teeth appearance and position.
- Many patients will need a new complete denture after 6 months of healing to achieve better appearance and function.
- Even if the patient is happy with an immediate denture, a laboratory reline will be needed to get better fit at 6 months healing.
- The patient
What is denture reline?
What is denture soft reline?
What are the disadvantages of a complete denture over natural teeth?
What are the disadvantages of a complete denture over partial denture?
What is the best treatment for a patient missing all lower teeth?
If a patient is missing all lower teeth, least acceptable treatment is a complete denture with two dental implants. Some patients may be happy with only a complete lower denture or lower fake teeth but dental implants are highly recommended.