Our patients often are concern about the color of their teeth. They always ask us about different ways that can make their teeth white. Before we discuss different teeth whitening techniques, we should talk about the causes of discoloration of teeth
CAUSES OF TEETH DISCOLORATION
We can have teeth staining due to different causes, some of them are listed below:
- External or extrinsic causes
Food and beverages such as coffee, cranberry juice, wine, etc
Some supplements such as Iron supplement pills for females
Others including poor oral hygiene and lack of dental care.
2.Internal or intrinsic causes
Medicines such as Tetracycline
Mouth rinse such as Chlorhexidine if used for more than 4 weeks. Always follow your dentist’s instructions
TEETH WHITENING OPTIONS
There are multiple teeth whitening options available for our patients.
To make sure we have the best possible result we need to make sure that the patient maintains really good oral hygiene, follow up with dental care visits, and avoid food and beverages that cause teeth staining.
Different treatments for teeth whitening are-
- Over the counter teeth whitening strips, gel, and trays
- Dentist prescribed teeth whitening systems
- In-office teeth whitening by a dentist or dental professional.
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Question:- Mr. Smith asks,” What are the main ingredients of teeth whitening gel or strips?”
Answer:- Most teeth whitening products include either hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide at different concentrations levels.
Question:- Mrs. Gilbert sent us an email to ask about things that she should know about teeth whitening before she gets one.
Answer:- Before you decide to use OTC teeth whitening product or get professional teeth whitening, there are few things you should know.
- Teeth sensitivity:- Teeth sensitivity is very commonly associated with teeth whitening. There are many over the counter products available to reduce tooth sensitivity.
- Gum irritation:- Over the counter teeth whitening products can cause gum irritation due to unsupervised use of whitening products.
- Re-staining of teeth:- It is very important to make sure that the patient maintains good oral hygiene to keep the results of teeth whitening.
In it very important that teeth whitening should be avoided in pregnant and nursing women as a whitening product can transfer to the baby.